2018 Double L Syrah
Syrah, originally from the Northern Rhône Valley in France, is one of the world's most widely planted wine grapes. Whether in Hermitage, Côte-Rôtie or Santa Lucia Highlands, Syrah from cool climates display equal parts intensity and elegance.
Syrah is the last varietal to be harvested each year on the Double L. The grapes are hand-picked and sorted for optimal flavor and acidity. After destemming 90% of the fruit and leaving 10% as whole clusters, the must is fermented by native yeast in small open-top tanks. Ten months of aging in 25% new French oak barrels added polish and elegance.
This wine shows inky purple hues in the glass, is medium-full bodied, yet light on its feet. Attractive aromas of licorice, smoked meat, and dried violets are supported by pepper and black fruits. The flavors of dark fruit and savory spices go perfectly with the bright acidity and a silky texture to display classic cool-climate Syrah character.
For tech sheet click here.
“Cracked black and white-pepper aromas meet with charred lamb and fresh elderberry on the nose of this organic bottling, which expertly straddles between ripe fruit and savory spice. Charred beef and more cracked pepper show on the sip, yet there are accessible flavors of blackberry, boysenberry and baking spice as well.”
- Matt Kettmann, February/March 2021
"Best known for its chardonnay and pinot noir, Morgan often surprises with a stunning syrah. The 2018 from Double L Vineyard is a brilliant wine that offers layers of blueberry and blackberry, a touch of smoked game, and a delightful scent of white pepper and violets. It's complex, seamless and ready to drink now." - Robert Whitley, November 2020
"Bay leaf, cracked black peppercorns, bacon fat, and blueberry fruits all emerge from the 2018 Syrah Double L Vineyard, a cool-climate, complex, medium-bodied Syrah from the Santa Lucia Highlands. I love its purity of fruit, and it has ripe, polished tannins and a great finish, all making for an incredibly satisfying Syrah to enjoy over the coming 5-7 years."
- Jeb Dunnuck, January 2021
"Opaque ruby. Smoke-accented aromas of ripe dark berries, olive, succulent herbs and espresso pick up a sexy floral nuance with air. Juicy and energetic in the mouth, offering pliant black and blue fruit preserve, salty olive and violet pastille flavors that show sharp definition and bright back-end lift. Deepens with air and finishes smoky and very long, with sneaky tannins and repeating floral and spice notes. 10% whole clusters and 25% new French oak."
- Josh Raynolds, October 2020